Sunday 20 May 2012

The Summer Of Staying Young

God am I sore.
Earlier this week I vowed that by the end of the week, I would own a longboard. Monday was a bust. Struck out on Tuesday. Wednesday and Thursday were over before I knew it, and Friday I threw out my back, so longboarding was pushed back in my mind. But I had made a promise to myself, so on Saturday morning, I met up with Mike and he helped me pick out a beautiful board. Big, fat, wide wheels. Not as long as others, but stout. Obviously my board.
Today was the first time taking it out. Met with Mike and Mikey at Assinaboine Park and tried to learn how to skate. And I'll be damned if I wasn't getting the hang of it pretty soon. Of course, there were the obligatory bails; I fell directly backwards, feet up in the air above my head, and landed hard on my ass and the heels of my hands. Jarred myself pretty hard. Pieces of asphalt embedded into my palms. And one fall where I managed to slam down on my already bruised heel.
And you know what I say? So what. Who cares? Bring on the pavement. Last summer was a complete wash. I didn't bike enough, camp enough, buy enough, hang out with friends enough. I was broke and felt useless just about all the time.
No more. I've decided, with some very encouraging and motivating words, particularly from Cousin Mike himself, that it's time I get off my fat, lazy ass and put some miles behind me. This is the Summer Of Staying Young, and I fully intend to take advantage. I've got a bit of cash in my pocket, and I think if I play it right, I will be able to afford to have a fuck of a lot of fun this summer.
I have a lot of practice on my longboard to do before I'll be able to hit the road and not constantly be worried about how to fall. I'm thinking about a new bicycle. Hell, I'll even look into how much it is to go skydiving. Not because I'm afraid of feeling old. Because I don't want to stop feeling young.
Because I know I can longboard, and it's been a long time since I've learned to do anything like this from scratch.
And because I want to go out and own this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment